The Russian Orthodox community has two churches in Tunisia. One was first built in Bizerte, then another one in Tunis.
The Russian Orthodox Church in Bizerte was consecrated on September 10, 1938, so almost eighty years ago to the day.
The story of this church began with the arrival of a Russian fleet from Crimea in Tunisia. Boats thus arrived in Bizerte for a long call, before being sent to France, for most of them. Several hundreds of them remained in Tunisia in the big cities in the north of the country.
When the boats started arriving, religious services were celebrated on board of one of the ships, until a temporary chapel was ready.
The project of the construction of a church was approved by the authorities in 1936. A subscription was launched the following year to raise enough money to undertake the work.
The construction project was entrusted to Colonel Sukharzhevsky, a former military engineer who chose a neo-Russian style for the church.
It was dedicated to Saint Alexander Nevsky and is now attached to the Moscow Patriarchate. Religious services are still celebrated there.
Source in French (with picture)