Afterfeast of the Elevation of the Cross
St. Eumenes, Bishop of Gortyna (6th c.). Martyr Ariadne of Phrygia (2nd c.). Martyrs Sophia and Irene of Egypt (3rd c.). Martyr Castor of Alexandria (3rd c.). Greatmartyr Prince Bidzini and Martyrs Princes Elizabar and Shalvi, of Georgia (1660).
Saint Eumenius from the time of his youth was noted for his virtuous life. He strove to serve the One God and therefore he shunned worldly temptations. Concerned for the salvation of his soul, he distributed all his substance to the poor.
By the blessing of God Saint Eumenius was chosen as Bishop of Gortyna on the island of Crete. The saint, like a compassionate father, comforted his flock in their sorrows, and cared for the orphaned and indigent. His prayers were so strong before God that once, during a drought, he called forth abundant rain upon the earth.
Saint Eumenius wisely and zealously defended the Orthodox Faith against the Monophysite heresy. For his opposition to the heresy the saint was banished to the Thebaid, where he died in the seventh century. His body was then transferred and buried in Gortyna.
TROPARION AND KONTAKION
Troparion of the feast, tone 1
O Lord, save Your people, And bless Your inheritance. Grant victories to the Orthodox Christians Over their adversaries. And by virtue of Your Cross, Preserve Your habitation.
Troparion of the saint, tone 4
We have you as a friend and helper, gracious advocate Eumenius: for compassion flowed from you and you pour forth healing on the Church. Protect those who honor you.
Kontakion of the saint, tone 2
Radiant with divine light, O blessed one, illumine us who lovingly praise your precious and glorious passing; hierarch father Eumenius, unceasingly intercede for us all.
Kontakion of the feast, tone 4
As You were voluntarily raised upon the cross for our sake, Grant mercy to those who are called by Your Name, O Christ God; Make all Orthodox Christians glad by Your power, Granting them victories over their adversaries, By bestowing on them the Invincible trophy, Your weapon of Peace.
- Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,
- having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone,
- in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord,
- in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.
- For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles –
- if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you,
- how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already,
- by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ),
- which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets:
- that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel,
- of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power.
- Now Jesus Himself began His ministry at about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, the son of Heli,
- the son of Matthat, the son of Levi, the son of Melchi, the son of Janna, the son of Joseph,
- the son of Mattathiah, the son of Amos, the son of Nahum, the son of Esli, the son of Naggai,
- the son of Maath, the son of Mattathiah, the son of Semei, the son of Joseph, the son of Judah,
- the son of Joannas, the son of Rhesa, the son of Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel, the son of Neri,
- the son of Melchi, the son of Addi, the son of Cosam, the son of Elmodam, the son of Er,
- the son of Jose, the son of Eliezer, the son of Jorim, the son of Matthat, the son of Levi,
- the son of Simeon, the son of Judah, the son of Joseph, the son of Jonan, the son of Eliakim,
- the son of Melea, the son of Menan, the son of Mattathah, the son of Nathan, the son of David,
- the son of Jesse, the son of Obed, the son of Boaz, the son of Salmon, the son of Nahshon,
- the son of Amminadab, the son of Ram, the son of Hezron, the son of Perez, the son of Judah,
- the son of Jacob, the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham, the son of Terah, the son of Nahor,
- the son of Serug, the son of Reu, the son of Peleg, the son of Eber, the son of Shelah,
- the son of Cainan, the son of Arphaxad, the son of Shem, the son of Noah, the son of Lamech,
- the son of Methuselah, the son of Enoch, the son of Jared, the son of Mahalalel, the son of Cainan,
- the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.
- Then Jesus, being filled with the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,