Uncovering of the Relics of the Holy Martyrs at the Gate of Eugenius at Constantinople (395-423). Martyrs Maurice and his son, Photinus, and Martyrs Theodore, Philip, and 70 soldiers, at Apamea in Syria (ca. 305). Ven. Thalassius, Limnæus and Baradates, Hermits, of Syria (5th c.). St. Athanasius the Confessor, of Constantinople (821).
Uncovering of the Relics of the Holy Martyrs at the Gate of Eugenius at Constantinople
During the persecutions against Christians the relics of the holy martyrs were usually buried by believers in hidden places. So at Constantinople, near the gates and tower in the Eugenius quarter, the bodies of several martyrs were found. Their names remain unknown by the Church.
When miracles of healing began to occur at this spot, the relics of the saints were discovered and transferred to a church with great honor. It was revealed to a certain pious clergyman, Nicholas Kalligraphos, that among the relics discovered at Eugenius were the relics of the holy Apostle Andronicus of the Seventy and his helper Junia (May 17), whom the Apostle Paul mentions in the Epistle to the Romans (Rom 16:7). In the twelfth century, a great domed church was built on the spot where the relics of the holy martyrs were discovered. This work was undertaken by the emperor Andronicus (1183-1185), whose patron saint was the holy Apostle Andronicus.
Troparion of the saints, tone 4
Your holy martyrs, O Lord, / through their sufferings have received incorruptible crowns from You, our God. / For having Your strength, they laid low their adversaries, / and shattered the powerless boldness of demons. / Through their intercessions, save our souls!
Kontakion of the saints, tone 4
As bright lights you shone forth from the earth / dispelling ungodly darkness; / and illuminating the faithful, O divine martyrs, champions of the Trinity.
1 John 2:7-17 (Epistle)
- Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning.
- Again, a new commandment I write to you, which thing is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.
- He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now.
- He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him.
- But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
- I write to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for His name’s sake.
- I write to you, fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the wicked one. I write to you, little children, because you have known the Father.
- I have written to you, fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the wicked one.
- Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
- For all that is in the world – the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life – is not of the Father but is of the world.
- And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
Mark 14:3-9 (Gospel)
- And being in Bethany at the house of Simon the leper, as He sat at the table, a woman came having an alabaster flask of very costly oil of spikenard. Then she broke the flask and poured it on His head.
- But there were some who were indignant among themselves, and said, “Why was this fragrant oil wasted?
- For it might have been sold for more than three hundred denarii and given to the poor.” And they criticized her sharply.
- But Jesus said, “Let her alone. Why do you trouble her? She has done a good work for Me.
- For you have the poor with you always, and whenever you wish you may do them good; but Me you do not have always.
- She has done what she could. She has come beforehand to anoint My body for burial.
- Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her.”